Nov. 11, 2021
Simple steps to avoid introducing infections during administration of intramammary infusions
1. Do not place individual syringes in warm/hot water during cold weather.
2. Dry cows off abruptly rather than gradually.
3. Clean teat ends as thoroughly as possible with alcohol and leave to air dry. DO NOT use water with or without disinfectant.
4. Clean the two teats furthest away first, followed by the two closest.
5. Ensure the teats are clean and dry before infusing Orbeseal.
6. Infuse the teats in the opposite order to cleansing: i.e. infuse the closest two teats first, followed by the two furthest away.
7. After infusing, dip teats in teat dip or spray with disinfectant and leave cows standing in yard for at least half an hour to allow the teat canal to close.
8. Check cows regularly for signs of mastitis during the first week after drying off.